Emergency and Referral
The veterinary team at Lake Animal Hospital understands that emergencies are never pleasant or convenient. During our regular business hours, Lake Animal Hospital’s staff is available to help you with a wide range of emergencies your pet may experience.
If possible, please call (651) 426-1381 in advance so we can prepare for your arrival.
For emergencies that occur outside of our regular hospital hours, we refer our clients to the Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota clinics. They offer two convenient locations and are staffed ready to receive emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
Beyond emergency care, the Emergency and Referral center provides a large selection of specialty care including surgery, dermatology, internal medicine, dentistry, cardiology, rehabilitation, and dermatology.
When is it an Emergency?
It can sometimes be difficult to determine if your pet’s symptoms qualify as an “emergency,” or if they can wait for a regular veterinary visit.
- Here are some general guidelines to determine when it is an emergency:
- Major trauma such as being hit by a car
- Allergy reactions such as swelling around the face and hives on the torso
- Excessive bleeding that doesn't stop within 5 minutes
- Difficulty breathing, choking, or nonstop coughing and gagging
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, coughing up blood, or blood in urine
- Signs of pain or inability to urinate or pass feces
- Eye Injuries or sudden changes in sight
- Suspect or know your pet has eaten something poisonous
- Seizures, tremors, or staggering
- Unconsciousness, collapse, or weakness
- Fractured bones, severe lameness or inability to use leg(s)
- Signs of extreme pain, such as whining, shaking, and refusing to socialize.
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Vomiting or diarrhea that lasts for more than 24-hours
- Refusal to eat or drink for 24 hours or more
- Difficulty giving birth
Contact Lake Animal Hospital in an emergency – or anytime! (651) 426-1381
1163 Helmo Avenue North
Oakdale, MN 55128
St. Paul Location:
1542 W 7th St.
St Paul, MN 55102
VetSource medications, pet products and nutrition delivered right to your front door.
Use our convenient online form to request a refill of your pet’s prescription. Once ready, you can pick it up at our clinic.
Emergency or After-Hours Care
Animal Emergency Clinics:
St. Paul – (651) 293-1800
Oakdale – (651) 501-3766